Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dusk

















I am beginning to figure out why I am painting what I am painting. I talk all the time about finding home.This longing where to live. I spent a great part of my childhood moving and traveling. I have seen this country backwards and forwards. Every mole hill and hamlet and every highway that leads from one place another, I have been to. As an adult I have moved and lived in numerous cities. However, I have been here in Orlando now, in the same house, for 9 years. The longest I have ever lived in one place. But I have spent alot of my time on the road looking at many, many cities and towns to move to. I have bothered countless real estate agents to show me houses. Many beautiful things. Every town my wife and I travel through we look at homes and imagine what our lives would be like living there. All of this has been the search for home. I just don't know where it is. I even have dreams where I am begging to go home, pleading with who is there to let me...........this painting, and many of the others, has to represent this search for home. I didn't really notice it at first, but now it seems so clear......... This house was right by where we stayed in NY state last summer. We drove by it every day and I just.....imagined.

Dusk
oil on canvas
21.5"x 25"


This piece will be part of my solo show at Arcadia next month.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter and I were discussing "what is home?" on the way home from track practice last night. More specifically, would we stay where we have lived for the past 20 years if the rest of our family moved away? The importance of "place" seems to be undervalued these day's. David Wilcox's son "East Asheville Hardware" handles this idea rather well..... Anyway, enjoyed the post. Love the work you are doing!

    What are the numbers to the right of the painting?

    ReplyDelete